– 1 packet instant curry sauce (I use A1 brand, 240g)
– 1/2 chicken, cut to pieces (or use thigh/drumsticks)
– 2 to 3 russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
– 2 stalks lemongrass, cut to 5cm lengths, making slits on the stalks to release the flavour
– 5 shallots, peeled and minced
– 2 stalks curry leaves
– 1 tbsp cooking oil
– 200ml coconut milk (or coconut cream for a richer taste)
– 500ml water
– chilli powder, to taste (optional)
– salt, to taste (optional)
1. In a pan or wok, heat oil and fry the shallots until lightly browned. Add curry sauce and stir fry until fragrant.
2. Add water, lemongrass, chicken and curry leaves. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add potatoes and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
4. Reduce heat, stir in the coconut milk and warm the curry. Add chilli powder to taste for extra heat and season with salt (or other seasonings) if necessary. Serve with warm rice or sliced baguette.