- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- sunflower oil , for frying
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 500g minced beef
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- sesame burger buns, iceberg lettuce, sliced beefsteak tomato, sliced gherkins, sliced onion, tomato ketchup or relish to serve
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 fat garlic clove , crushed
- a small bunch of flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- a small bunch of dill , chopped
- a large pinch of onion powder or granules (optional)
- a couple of good squeezes lemon juice
1.Stir the ranch dressing ingredients together in a bowl with seasoning. Cover and chill until needed.
2.To make the burgers, gently fry the onion in 1 tbsp oil with the oregano, cumin and paprika. When soft, transfer to a large bowl and cool. Add the beef, Worcestershire sauce and season. Mix well and add just enough egg to bind the meat together. Form into 4 burgers about 2 cm thick. Chill until needed (you can make these a day ahead).
3.Grill the burgers over medium-hot coals, about 5-6 minutes each side for medium, 8-9 minutes for well-done. Split and lightly toast the burger buns.
4.Lay a couple of lettuce leaves and a slice of tomato on the base of each bun and add a dollop of ranch dressing. Top with a burger, relish and gherkins.
Nutrient per serving:
503 kcalories, protein 28g, carbohydrate 3g, fat 42 g, saturated fat 12.6g, fibre 0.5g, salt 0.69 g